There are lots of great reasons to stay at The Strand Resort — the recently renovated and elegantly appointed accommodations, the first-class amenities, and the level of quality that comes with the unique boutique experience. But one of the often overlooked advantages to vacationing at The Strand is the close proximity to the Myrtle Beach Convention Center and the variety of shows, conventions and special events held at the 250,000-square-foot facility on an almost daily basis.
Located just a few blocks inland of The Strand's oceanfront property, the Myrtle Beach Convention Center and the new and adjacent Myrtle Beach Sports Center are home to a wide selection of showcases and competitions, including sporting events, dance and cheer competitions, concerts, and touring exhibits. Whether you are looking for a place to stay for a convention or want to attend an event that is open to the public, here are a few of the highlights on the upcoming schedule:
- April 18-23, Singing in the Sun: Gospel and traditional American music come to play at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center with six days of shows. Featuring some of the top artists in gospel music today, along with inspirational speakers and acts, Singing in the Sunshine attracts large crowds that sing along and enjoy the fellowship.
- May 6-8, Showstopper Regional Dance Competition: One of the nation's top touring dance contests holds one of its biggest events of the year on the Grand Strand, where thousands of dancers descend on the Myrtle Beach Convention Center for the three-day showcase. The event will feature some of the top dance troupes from around the region that won their way to this contest. Lots of bright lights, loud music and high energy will be on display in the main hall, and Sunday's finals are off the chain. The winners return to Myrtle Beach for the Showstopper East Coast Finals in early July.
- May 9, 16, 23, Myrtle Beach Freedom: There's a new game in town, and it's called arena football. I know, your parents always said not to throw the football inside, but such play is allowed and encouraged in the Myrtle Beach Convention Center's arena when the Freedom compete in the American Indoor Football League. Featuring former college players, the games’ level of play is solid, and the action is fast-paced and high-scoring.
- May 20-22, XCON World: More than 7,000 comic-book collectors, science-fiction fans and superhero wannabes invade the Strand for this annual convention. Among this year's celebrity guests are Don Teems, Gregory French and Jeremy Ambler (all of “The Walking Dead”), Michael Copon (“One Tree Hill”), and Cody Saintgnue (“Teen Wolf”), just to name a few. Role-playing and autograph sessions are also scheduled throughout the three-day event.
- June 25-30, DanceMakers: Another popular dance competition turns the Myrtle Beach Convention Center into a six-day dance-a-thon. Top dance troupes strut their stuff on the main stage while hundreds of fans in the crowd are dazzled by the choreography and showmanship.
After a fun day or night at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, guests at The Strand can make the short walk or drive back to the resort for a nightcap at The Strand Bar, a relaxing dip in the oceanfront pool or a quiet evening on your private balcony overlooking the ocean. It’s just one more reason to spend your Myrtle Beach vacation with us at The Strand.