There's something about having a hot meal, cold beer or a frozen drink on the open oceanfront that makes it extra special. Take the same burger and fries or piña colada you can get at any indoor, inland eatery, relocate it to a table or bar stool overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and you can transform an ordinary dining experience into one big beach party.
Maybe it’s the sound of the crashing waves and the sea breeze blowing in your hair. Or maybe it's the warm sunshine and scenery of the white sand and blue water. But whatever it is, you can't beat a warm spring day enjoying delicious food and drinks with family and friends. In the spirit of the season, here is a six-pack of places where you can eat and drink on the Myrtle Beach oceanfront:
- Bandito's Cantina: The northernmost point of the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk offers a little slice of Mexico and the Caribbean at Bandito's. Located about one mile south of The Strand, you can work up a thirst with a stroll down the beach or Ocean Boulevard and enjoy excellent cuisine and cold beverages. The spacious patio deck features a stage for live music, and three bars ensure your drink is always full. The frozen margaritas and monster nachos are the house specialties.
- Bummz Beach Cafe: Hidden among rows of high-rise hotels sits a little beach shack with the best back yard in Myrtle Beach. Picnic tables, beach chairs and even a hammock await hungry patrons and thirsty beachgoers who wander up to the bar via the adjoining wooden walkway. Live music plays daily, the cold beer flows and the good times roll at Bummz, which also serves some of the best burgers on the beach. Guests at The Strand can enjoy the water facilities at The Breakers next door before taking a lunch break at Bummz.
- Ocean Annie's Beach Cafe: It's about a five-mile drive to this hot spot but well worth the trip. Located in the Arcadian Shores section of Myrtle Beach, this oceanfront bar puts on one heck of a beach party on sunny days. A stage hosts live music on the pool deck while patrons dance on the patio and take a dip in the pool. The fun also spills out on to the beach, where patrons rotate between sunbathing and celebrating back at the bar. Ocean Annie's also serves great food with indoor and outdoor seating available.
- Rusty Reel Bar & Grill: Sister property the Breakers Resort unveiled its latest oceanfront cafe last summer, and guests are hooked. Featuring a bar with an extensive selection of specialty frozen drinks and a food menu with everything from salads and sandwiches to surf and turf, the Rusty Reel opens its doors and windows and lets the fresh ocean air and warm sunshine circulate through the dining area. Guests at The Strand are welcome to enjoy the wide variety of amenities at the Breakers, like the water park, lazy river, pirate ship play area and pools, while also enjoying lunch, dinner and drinks at the Rusty Reel.
- Sea Captain's House: The Strand is located just a few blocks south of a true Myrtle Beach tradition. Once serving as a small guest cottage, the Sea Captain's House has become an institution with more than 75 years in operation. Featured in national publications for its combination of seafood and Southern cooking, the Sea Captain's also offers a scenic view of the ocean and a new outdoor patio deck that is only steps away from the crashing waves. Enjoy seafood so fresh that it was swimming in the same waters a day earlier.
OK, so we promised you a six-pack and that was only five. Well, we saved the best for last. Our guests can enjoy one of the finest oceanfront bar experiences in their own lobby at The Strand Bar. Featuring large window views of the ocean in an elegant environment, our guests don't have to leave the property to find a great place for a nightcap or a midday break from the heat of the beach. It's just one more way we deliver the boutique Myrtle Beach resort experience at The Strand.